The 33rd Alaska State Legislature gavels in on Tuesday, Jan. 17. How can Alaskans outside of Juneau keep track of what’s going on?
• Gavel Alaska: This free statewide television service is provided by KTOO, Juneau’s public media station. It provides live and recorded coverage of state government activities, including legislative hearings.
• There’s an app for that: Search the app store for “akleg.” It provides daily schedules, bills and live streams, all for free.
• Hashtags: Online conversations focused on state government often use the #akleg or #akgov hashtags on Twitter.
• Newsletters: Several independent writers and journalists produce detailed newsletters for a fee.
– Sarah Erkmann Ward, Blueprint Alaska