In 1987, Congress declared March national Women’s History Month to honor and celebrate the integral role women play in shaping America’s history. Here’s a shout-out to Alaska’s super-women and original trailblazers:
• 1945 – Alberta Schenck Adams was instrumental in passing Alaska’s Anti-Discrimination Act.
• 1985 – Libby Riddles becomes the first female Iditarod champion.
• 2009 – “Queen of the Reindeer” Sinrock Mary, once Alaska’s richest woman and the first to own property, is inducted into hall of fame.
• 2018 – Kikkan Randall wins the first U.S. Olympic cross-country skiing gold medal.
See more in the Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame.
– Megan O’Malley, The Alaska 100