Just like the rest of Alaska’s inhabitants, bears are starting to emerge from their winter hibernation and become more active. It is imperative that everyone stay bear aware. A few tips:
• Carry bear spray, and be sure you know how to use it correctly.
• Make noise to avoid surprising a bear.
• During a bear encounter, stay calm, speak firmly and lowly and wave your arms.
• If the bear does attack you, drop to the ground, lay on your stomach with your hand covering the back of your head and play dead.
Learn more from the Alaska Department of Fish & Game.
– Liz Baker, The Alaska 100