Bear attacks in Alaska are rare but scary. It’s crucial to be bear-aware, and summer is the perfect time to brush up on bear safety tips that help prevent encounters.
To prevent encounters in the wild and at campsites:
• Use the buddy system.
• Make noise and travel slowly to avoid surprising a bear.
• Carry bear spray. Know how to use it properly.
• Store food and garbage in bear-resistant containers.
If you see a bear in your neighborhood:
• Get to safety.
• Alert Alaska Department of Fish and Game and neighbors.
• Make noise to try and scare the bear away.