This year, Alaska is celebrating its 60th year of statehood. We’re sharing some of the coolest facts about our favorite state:
• Alaska first tried to become a state in 1916.
• Five percent of Alaska is covered by glaciers (approximately 29,000 square miles).
• Seventeen of the 20 highest peaks in America are in Alaska, including North America’s tallest peak, Denali.
• Juneau is the only state capital accessible only by boat or plane and is the largest at 3,108 square miles.
• More caribou than people live in the state.
Want even more fun facts? Visit alaska.gov for more information.