Many people look forward to Memorial Day, the unofficial kickoff of summer and an extra day off work. It is imperative to remember the ultimate sacrifices made by our servicemen and servicewomen over history to ensure Americans have the freedom to enjoy our barbecues, camping trips and so many other things we often take for granted.
• In Anchorage, attend a Memorial Day ceremony.
• Take part in a number of activities in Eagle River all weekend.
• Escape the crowds and go camping. My favorite spot? Little Jack Creek in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.
• Attend the first Great Alaska Music Festival.
– Liz Baker, The Alaska 100