Alaskans have to get creative with travel during the winter. These in-state retreats provide great getaways, even when it’s dark and cold:
• Chena Hot Springs Resort, Fairbanks – Hot springs, aurora viewing and an ice museum. Need we say more?
• F Street Station, Anchorage – Try this local dive for breakfast, lunch or both. Two words: Steamed. Clams.
• Alaska SeaLife Center, Seward – The SeaLife Center is home to beloved creatures like puffins and sea lions. This family-friendly destination is open year-round.
• Talkeetna Roadhouse, Talkeetna – Fewer places are cozier than the Talkeetna Roadhouse. (Fair warning: You’ll be dreaming about their toast for months.)
– Becca Pilipchuk, The Alaska 100