If you engage with media regularly, a comprehensive media training course may be in order. (T&C offers full-day and half-day options.) In the meantime, here are some quick tips to help you present yourself and your organization in the best light.
• Be transparent. The truth comes out eventually anyway.
• Be pleasant and smile. A positive attitude goes a long way.
• Speak plainly. Jargon just muddles your message.
• Ask a journalist to kill a story. It won’t happen.
• Speculate. If you don’t know, say so.
• Go “off the record.” Nothing is really “off the record.”
– Liz Baker, The Alaska 100