• Repurposing plastic: Kenai-based innovation project turns old plastic into lumber.
• Ferry fans: Alaska Marine Highway System adds new vessel to fleet, the MV Hubbard.
• Fire relief: After a brutal Alaska wildfire season last year, 2023 is off to a slow start.
• Aniak rate increase: Aniak residents’ power costs quadruple overnight with little to no explanation. Hopefully a solution is found.
• Oil spill: Anchorage lake popular with dog walkers sullied by 20 gallons of oil. Clean up in progress.
• Energy shortfall: Southcentral utilities warn of looming natural gas shortages. Planning is underway to meet future energy needs.