• Gorilla Fireworks: Business owner realizes wildfire danger, voluntarily closes business during busy holiday weekend. Classy.
• Indigenous dictionary: Arctic Slope Community Foundation launches online Iñupiaq dictionary.
• Budget surplus: Riding wave of high oil prices, Alaska puts excess revenue into savings for first time in a decade.
• UAA gymnastics: Team raises $888,000 to save program.
• Salmon runs: Yukon River salmon runs appear dismal for second year in a row.
• Entangled whales: Report shows fishing-gear entanglements of whales increased in Alaska this last year.
• Smoky skies: Wildfire smoke is taking its toll statewide, leading to canceled events in Fairbanks.