The new school year is here. A time of chaotic morning routines — packing lunch, wrangling shoes and hoping our son makes the bus. But be sure safety is on your mental checklist, including these tips to keep in mind all year.
• Walkers should use the sidewalk and walk facing traffic.
• Pocket your cell phone. Don’t walk and text.
• The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous. Stand back from the curb as the bus approaches.
• Drivers, take extra caution in school zones and never pass a bus.
Now we’re ready for the first day of school.
– Abby Cooper, The Alaska 100