• “The Beast:” An oil rig nicknamed “The Beast” sets a long-distance drilling record, unlocking oil from a new section of the North Slope.
• Emu fans: Starting in July, Alaskans can legally own emus. Neat?
• Community fridge: New refrigerator in Anchorage provides easy access for hungry neighbors looking for something to eat.
• Fentanyl: Alaska is not immune to the drug crisis sweeping the country. Overdose deaths up 70% last year.
• Bear selfies: Jackwagons get prison and fines for wading into Brooks River to take selfies with world-famous bears.
• Denali deaths: Climbing season is off to a tragic start.